MS&T15 includes a variety of special lectures and activities. Activities are added as additional information is available.
Sunday, October 4
6:00 – 7:30 p.m.
Network with your colleagues, meet new people and learn about the exciting membership offerings of the organizing societies.
Monday, October 5
ACerS 117th Annual Meeting
1:00 – 2:00 p.m.
Watch newly elected officers take their positions and the Annual Membership Meeting is held. All ACerS members and guests are welcome.
ASM Leadership Awards Luncheon
11:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
ASM’s organizational unit awards as well as awards and scholarships of the ASM Materials Education Foundation will be presented. ASM’s incoming Committee/Council chairs will also be recognized for their leadership. ASM Committee and Council members meeting during MS&T, and awardees, will receive an invitation to attend. Others may purchase tickets via meeting registration.
ASM 102nd Annual Business Meeting
4:00 – 5:00 p.m.
Attend our annual meeting where officers will be elected for the 2014-2015 term and other ASM business will be transacted. ASM members and guests are welcome.
Women in Materials Science and Engineering Reception
5:30 – 6:30 p.m.
Enjoy the chance to network with professionals and peers over light appetizers while relaxing after a day of sessions.
ACerS 117th Annual Honors and Awards Banquet
7:30 – 10:00 p.m.
Enjoy dinner, conversation and the presentation of Society awards. Purchase tickets for $90 via meeting registration.
ASM Canada Council Suite
9:00 p.m. – 1:00 a.m.
Experience Canadian hospitality!
Tuesday, October 6
MS&T Young Professionals Reception
4:30 – 6:00 p.m.
Attend this reception to meet and network with fellow young professionals.
MS&T14 Exhibit Happy Hour Reception
4:00 – 6:00 p.m.
Network with colleagues and build relationships with qualified attendees, buyers and prospects!
ASM Awards Dinner
7:15 – 9:30 p.m.
Join us in celebrating the wonderful accomplishments of this year’s award recipients and the 2015 Class of Fellows. Tickets, which include the President’s Reception following the dinner, can be purchased via the registration form.
Thursday, October 8- Friday, October 9
Sintering of Ceramics Short Course
9:00-4:30 p.m. and 9:00-2:30 p.m.
Rates (On or before September 3)
Member Rate – $850 | Nonmember – $940 | Student – $425
Instructor: Mohamed N. Rahaman, Missouri University of Science and Technology
The course will follow the key topics in the text book, Sintering of Ceramics, by M. N. Rahaman, CRC Press, and will be supplemented by detailed ‘case studies’ of the sintering of specific ceramics and systems.
This two-day course covers the following topics:
- Review of sintering basics: methods for characterizing sintering; driving forces; diffusion and defect chemistry
- Solid-state and viscous sintering
- Microstructure development and control
- Liquid-phase sintering
- Special topics: effect of inhomogeneities on sintering; sintering of composite systems, adherent thin films and multilayers; effects of solid solution additives (dopants) on sintering; reaction sintering (sintering with a chemical reaction); viscous sintering with crystallization
- Sintering practice: furnaces and support materials; effect of materials and process parameters on sintering; pressure-assisted sintering; microwave sintering, spark plasma sintering and flash sintering; examples of sintering cycles
- Case studies: Sintering of nano-ceramics; sintering of solid-oxide fuel cell systems; sintering of ceramic matrix composites; sintering of non-oxide ceramics and ultra-high temperature ceramics
REGISTRATION FOR THIS COURSE WILL BE OPEN IN THE SUMMER!